Monday 20 April 2015

Revisiting the automata

I had made all these 5 automata pieces more than 30 years ago, simply as a training for the mind. Hand and eye coordination came into play as I refused to measure any dimensions, and merely used visual estimation to plan my pieces. There were no screws used either. Everything was superglued or epoxied into position. I merely jiggled all the parts into position until the glue had set. If a mistake was made, this was simply ripped off and another attempt would be made. I used mainly discarded parts from old clockwork mechanisms, and other cast-offs. Frankly, I am amazed that they still worked then as their mechanisms were extremely fiddly.

Time, rust and constant playing with them has gradually eroded some of the inner workings of these older pieces.

I had also very limited literature on automata then. Nowadays, there are so many interesting websites devoted to automata. There are also a few good books which cover the basic mechanisms, which I will post about on my blog.

The technical discovery of placing short video clips on my blog, which are truly necessary for any interesting blog on automata, has rekindled my pursuit of this very challenging artform on creativity.

Here, I will re-explore simple automata linked to musical movements, preferably in miniature. As I don't have a clockmaker/jeweller's background, training, workshop or tools, this will be a unique approach to the discipline. Still, I do have the older pieces as reference for some mechanisms and inspiration.

However, learning from experience, it is best to approach the technically challenging aspects of automata with pragmatism. I intend to use measuring tools and also attempt to cut and fabricate all necessary parts with as much accuracy as is possible. I've realised that the precision in fabrication and optimal location of all moving parts minimises wear and tear and, thus, extends the life spans of the mechanisms. To that end, I have acquired a modest array of power tools which can be put to good use here.

Recently, I bought some musical movements and acquired some sets of proper interlocking gears. These gears should expedite any exploration into movement without the need to second guess whether the teeth would fit or not, which was the case with cannibalised items.

Stay tuned as I start to re-explore the world of automata.

No comments:

Post a Comment